Grŵp Cynefin


Register an interest in Affordable Home Ownership or Intermediate Rent schemes

Grŵp Cynefin administers an Affordable Home-Ownership / Affordable Rental Register on behalf of Conwy County Borough Council, Denbighshire County Council, Flintshire County Council and Wrexham County Borough Council.

Apply Online Now

The aim of the registers is to give opportunities to residents (living or in employment, or has a close family association with the county / specific town or village) of each of the four counties who are struggling to take their first step into homeownership to register their interest in future new affordable properties by developers or affordable properties for re-sale by private owner occupiers at an affordable price.

To ensure that you gain access to affordable home ownership, you need to register your interest by completing the Take The First Steps to Affordable Home-Ownership application form This form is a common application form which enables you to register across the four counties. You will only need to register an interest with Grŵp Cynefin, and your contact details will be shared with partner organisations signed up to the application.

The application form has been developed in partnership with the four local authorities, five housing associations and twelve developers who provide affordable home ownership opportunities across the four counties.

Use our Search for Affordable Homes page to locate available properties

Who can register?

  • You must be aged 16 or over, and must be aged 18 or over when purchasing.
  • Any person who is a UK or EU/EAA passport holder or have Indefinite Leave to Remain stamped in your passport.
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you are unable to purchase a home outright without assistance.
  • You must be able to qualify for, and access a mortgage.
  • You must have enough savings to cover a deposit, and costs associated with purchasing a home when a property becomes available.
  • If you are currently a homeowner you can still register if you are unable to purchase another suitable home e.g. Require a larger property due to increase of family size
    Require a more suitable property due to a member of household having a disability, and your current home is not suitable for that person’s needs.
    Having to sell the matrimonial home in cases of relationship breakdown
    Moving due to employment
    Elderly person living in a property that is unsuitable, but proceeds of sale is not sufficient to purchase another property. Students who are not in employment (will not be offered a property without evidence of being able to purchase)

Who cannot register?

  • Any person who is not a UK or EU/EAA passport holder or do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain stamped in your passport
  • You are a buy to let investor.
  • You already own a home that is suitable for your needs
  • You cannot get a mortgage e.g. you are unemployed, have a poor credit rating, have in the last 6 years been declared bankrupt or had a previous property which you owned re-possessed
  • You are self employed, and do not have:
    Audited accounts for the last 2 years or;
    Copies of your last 2 years tax returns.

Alternative to Affordable Home Ownership – Affordable Renting

If you are currently unable to access homeownership, could be that you cannot access a mortgage, do not have sufficient savings, or your employment is not secure, you may register your interest for affordable rental properties. (Intermediate rent)
These are properties that are available to applicants who are in employment and are on a relatively good annual income.
The rent charged is usually at Local Housing Allowance rate which is less than the rent you would expect to pay for a similar home in a similar area if you were renting from a
private landlord.
This scheme will give you the opportunity to save for a deposit if you are thinking of purchasing your own home in the future.
On some schemes/properties you might have the option to purchase in the future, please ask for further details.
The property will be rented to you on a 6 month Assured Short hold Tenancy, which will thereafter continue on a month by month basis. Provided you keep to the terms of the tenancy, our commitment to you is long term commitment

To register, please contact the Affordable Homes Team, Grŵp Cynefin on 0300 111 2122 or email to request an application form, or alternatively download an application form below, print out and return to us.